As you might suspect, I'm officially in countdown-mode... Alice in Wonderland comes out Friday! Almost Alice was released today- a compilation of music inspired by the film. There is a great mix of artists that you wouldn't expect to find together on one album- not surprising since it's Alice in Wonderland. Most of the artists are on my iPod already: Kerli, Avril, Grace Potter, Wolfmother, 3OH!3, Plain White T's, Metro Station, Shinedown, The All-American Rejects... The fact that Franz Ferdinand sings a track titled The Lobster Quadrille is really enough reason to download it. Carroll's stories are a mind-altering mixed bag of twisted nursery rhymes, bright colors, loud noises, confusion, and madness... and this soundtrack managed to capture that pretty well. Everything from old trippy classics redone (Grace Potter and the Nocturnals - White Rabbit) to Carroll's poetry recited line by line (Very Good Advice - Robert Smith), to more mainstream Alice-inspired songs (Welcome to Mystery - Plain White T's) this album has a bit of something for everyone.
I love having my nails painted, but hate to spend the money on a professional manicure that won't last. I'm hardly a delicate type of person, and am usually involved in activities or projects that don't jive with painted nails (like apartment renovations). Once in a while I'll paint them at home, but inevitably I end up with a messy right hand (because I'm not ambidextrous) and I mess up at least one nail due to my impatience waiting for them to dry. Last night I went to Duane Reade to pick up a few things and grabbed a bottle of Sally Hansen Insta-Dri for $4.95. The brush is very wide and shaped in a way that made it easy to "stay in the lines" and you don't have to keep dipping for every nail. It took me just a couple minutes and they really did dry completely within a minute or two. I'm so going to buy more colors asap!
Valentine's day is right around the corner! Time to order gifts to be shipped in time. Don't have a sweetheart to exchange gifts with? Buying a treat for yourself is warranted, for sure. Don't forget your girlfriends-- they're the ones who get you through the day, right?
For your girls:
1) Silver Love Letter by LOOKAjewelry - $75. Tiny silver envelope can be stamped with a little message. Thank your best girl for her hours of listening, giving advice, and dancing it up with you.
2) Best Wishes by somethingshidinghere - $12. What better gift to give than 3 wishes? (No wishing for more wishes!)
3) Cupcake Bath Bomb by sugarandspicesoapco - $4.50. Buy a bakery box at your local kitchen supply store and put 6 in there. She'll thank you. (And smell extra sweet!)
For your boy:
4) String Series photo by BlissInteriorDesigns - $10. Five prints to choose from (or get him a set). Cause even though it's a bachelor pad, it can still have a bit of class.
5) Little Red and Black Notebook by moonbindery - $24. Sketches, song lyrics and a steady stream of business ideas his gig? Red leather cover that ties with a black strap, will fit in his back pocket.
6) Mad Hatter T-Shirt by theboldbanana - $12. Can your boyfriend ever have too many t-shirts for you to borrow? I think not.
For #1 (that's you!):
7) Lace and Ribbon Pouch by oktak - $32. This lil pouch is adorable. Perfect for your essentials on a sunny afternoon.
8) Gigantic Goldfish Dress by circularaccessories - $38. Because every girl needs a comfy cotton dress that fits well... and the seriously large goldfish is an added bonus.
9) Peacock Feater Tattoo Tights by post - $23. These are so much fun! I will definitely be buying myself a pair of these to add to my collection.
Megan Nielsen has debuted her Spring 2010 collection with some super cute pieces you gotta snag while they're available. Short hems and airy fits dominate, with a 60's and 70's inspiration. Jessica of What I Wore did up the lookbook (I'm jealous). My favorite item is the rie dress: vintage lace over crisp white... super cute for the park or lunch with the girls. I want!