photo via myspace
I was first introduced to Julian Velard's music a few weeks ago when Hugo and I wandered into Rockwood after leaving a show at Mercury Lounge. Julian was finishing up his set, playing Love Again for the First Time, A Dream, Joni, and Jimmy Dean & Steve McQueen. I was hooked! I downloaded a ton of his music over the next few days, and saw that he had an upcoming tour- including two more nights at Rockwood. (His shows are tomorrow and Saturday night, just $5 at the door!) I tracked him down on twitter and he agreed to do a lil Q&A for ya! (You're welcome):
1. Gimme five random facts about you.
1) I can't do that thing with my tongue where it curls horizontal like a fruit roll up, you know, the thing everyone on earth can do
2) I used to be a Pre-Kindergarten Gym Teacher for 3 years.
3) I am a terrible waiter
4) Like bright colored socks
5) Have very very very big feet (size 13 quadruple E width)
2. Favorite song to perform? At the moment, I'm really digging on Genesis' "That's All". Phil, as they say in London, writes some CHOONES!
3. Sort your iTunes library by play count... what's the most played song? I Get Along Without You Very Well by Sinatra. I don't remember playing it 100 times. I think my computer is trying to tell me something.
4. Favorite meal to make for yourself? Oatmeal. That's about all I can do. Been a bachelor for too long.
5. What do you see when you look out your window? A parking lot.
6. Favorite tourist spot in NYC? Toss up between The Cloisters/Fort Tryon Park and The Empire State Building. Going up to the 102nd floor, not the 86th, and watching the sunset is one of the most incredible sights ever. Did I mention I'm a cheeseball?
7. Who or what inspires you most? Steve McQueen. Did you have to ask?
8. Favorite sports team? New York Lebronabockers. Oops. I meant the Knicks.
10. Favorite NYC restaurant? Difara's Pizzeria down on Avenue J in Midwood. Not really a restaurant, but it's the best Pizza this Upper West Side boy has ever had.
11. Favorite dessert? Love me some Creme Brulee.
12. You get to go anywhere for a week, all expenses paid... where you headed? Somewhere hot that I haven't been before. Greece or the Sahara.
13. Which 80's cartoon character would you most identify with? Good question. Most days I feel like Shipwreck from G.I. Joe, the marine with the parrot on his shoulder. I identify with him most in the Synthoid Conspiracy Episodes (a 2 part series). Shipwreck has a secret formula burned into his brain by a russian scientist and is knocked unconscious in a sinking ship. He wakes to find himself in a home on an Island with a wife and a kid. The war with Cobra has ended and he's the savior. All the G.I. Joes work on the Island, retired now that the war is over. It turns out to be a plot by Cobra to get at the information in his brain. His family and friends are just clay copies that melt in extreme heat.
Welcome to my world.
14. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? First a carpenter. Then a baseball player.
15. Biggest pet peeve? Clipping toenails on the subway. Don't do it.
16. Favorite breakfast food? Oatmeal. I cook it myself.
18. Favorite guilty pleasure? Huey Lewis and The News
19. You're at Starbucks- whatcha drinking? Decaf Soy Latte. Lame I know
20. Someone has 1 day to experience NYC. What do you recommend they do? Just walk around. Don't take the subway. Finish it with the 102nd floor observatory atop the Empire State at sunset while playing "I'm Not In Love" through your iPhone speakers. Wipe the single tear with the pedals from the rose you bought for yourself. NYC in a nutshell.
I'm actually going to both of Julian's shows, tomorrow and Saturday, so come keep me company and hear some awesome live music! It's definitely gonna be a great show. It starts at 9p, but get there early to grab a beer and a seat! And in the meantime, brush up on your JV before the show: myspace, facebook, iTunes. I'll post a show recap Friday night/Saturday morning!
Civil Twilight, from left: Steven McKeller, Rich Wouters, Andrew McKeller (photo via MySpace)
I've been a huge fan of Civil Twilight since I saw them open for Evanescence last November. I went to that show having never heard of them, and went home that night and downloaded their entire album. I've since seen them perform a second time at Bowery Ballroom, and am going to see them a third time tonight at Union Hall in Brooklyn. Their music is full of emotion, and their live performances are just as powerful. Being a band that quickly became one of my favorites, I was thrilled to do a Q&A with their drummer, Rich.
1. Gimme five random facts about you.
I grew up on a beach in South Africa and surfed almost every day as a kid.
I like cooking.
I have the best family ever.
My favorite book is 'Crime and Punishment' by Fyodor Dostoevsky
I believe that art can save or destroy us.
I once wrestled a bear to the ground with my bare hands. (Just kidding...)
That was 6 but the last one doesn't count... ;)
2. Favorite song to perform? I kind of go through phases... Right now Im enjoying 'On The Surface'.
3. Sort your iTunes library by play count... what's the most played song? Doves, 'Black and White Town'
4. Favorite meal to make for yourself? Penne with ragu meat sauce. Or very fresh fish on the grill.
5. What superpower would you most like to possess? The ability to fly.
6. Favorite tourist spot in NYC? Hm... Central Park.
7. Who or what inspires you most? Music, literature, nature, family, God.
8. Favorite sports team? Brazilian national soccer team.
9. Your best friend built a time machine- where in time would you like to go? It would have to be Jerusalem at the time of Christ.
10. Biggest pet peeve? Complaining about things one can't change.
11. Favorite dessert? Tiramisu.
12. You get to go anywhere for a week, all expenses paid... where you headed? The French Riviera.
13. Favorite TV show growing up? MacGyver!
14. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? A professional soccer player.
15. You just won the lottery- what’s the first thing you're buying? A new car.
16. Favorite breakfast food? Eggs and bacon on toast with fried mushrooms and tomato!
17. You just had a 5-star evening- what happened? Ate great food with friends, played a show at a nice venue, hung out and relaxed with good people.
18. Favorite guilty pleasure? Haha. Taylor Swift's songs!
19. You're at Starbucks- whatcha drinking? Tall cappuccino. No sugar.
Rich takes iPhone photos of his travels and posts them on LettersfromtheSky.com
20. I love all of your random photos on lettersfromthesky.com… do you have a favorite?
Thanks! I kind of like that new one there called 'Dawn from above'. I took it out of the window of an airplane whilst flying over the Pacific. Photos of sky and clouds and water are my favorite. Especially when the light is interesting... I always just try capture a mood.
* * * * *
Come out tonight to see Civil Twilight at Union Hall! Doors open at 7:30p, tickets are only $10. If you absolutely can't make it out, I'll forgive you, but to make it up to me you must see them at Bowery Ballroom on July 13! I pinky-promise you'll love them as much as I do.Update on 2010-06-15 14:34 by Alice
Another amazing Civil Twilight show! They played a long set, including my faves Perfect Stranger and Letters from the Sky. They covered Massive Attack's Teardrop again, which I absolutely love. For their encore they played Quiet in My Town (which always makes me a little teary) and Led Zeppelin's Immigrant Song. Totally kick ass! I'm planning on seeing them at Bowery Ballroom on July 13. Come out!!
Lately I've been rocking out day and night to Scarlett! They have a very Paramore-ish vibe that I totally dig. I'm loving Fingers Crossed and Scandals. You can check em out and download some of their tunes here. I caught up with their guitarist, Arnley Sena, who took the time out for a little Q&A with me! (*Be sure to scroll down for a sweet Scarlett giveaway!!*)
1. Gimme five random facts about you.
1. I've never been on a plane.
2. I'm deaf in one ear.
3. My favorite band is My American Heart.
4. I have 9 tattoos.
5. I have been in 7 bands before Scarlett.
2. Favorite song to perform? My personal favorite is "So The Story Goes".
3. Sort your iTunes library by play count... what's the most played song? Dreams - We Came As Romans.
4. Celebrity you crushed on as a kid? The pink ranger haha.
5. Your BFF built a time machine- where would you like to go? (I should have asked "when" are you going...oops!) Either California or Florida, either one would be gnarly.
6. Who or what inspires you most? My family and Jesse Barrera.
7. Coolest place you’ve ever been? There was this abandoned toy factory called "The Toy Crib" and me a few friends would go into it at midnight and just explore. It was a huge 4 story building. There was graffiti, blood, and rats everywhere. It was really creepy, but awesome at the same time.
8. Favorite sports team? The 90's Bulls, I don't really watch much sports now.
9. What superpower would you most like to possess? I would want a super power that whenever I needed money, it would just show up in my wallet.
10. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? A doctor.
11. Favorite dessert? Any kind of cake!
12. You get to go anywhere for a week, all expenses paid... where you headed? California or Florida!
13. Biggest pet peeve? People not flushing the toilet haha.
14. You just had a 5-star evening- what happened? Just played another show with Anberlin!
15. Favorite guilty pleasure? Listening to The Jonas Brothers haha.
16. You're at Starbucks- whatcha drinking? Nothing, not a big fan of Starbucks.
17. Favorite breakfast food? Those big breakfasts from Mickey Deez were always my favorite!
18. Favorite item of clothing you own? Anything that's Rockett.
19. You just won the lottery- what’s the first thing you're buying? A house made of gold and a completely new guitar rig.
Scarlett, based in Chicago, is planning on doing a show in NYC in August. To prepare you, I've got a Scarlett t-shirt and a signed Darling, Let's Not Panic EP going to one lucky winner! To enter, listen to Scarlett and lemme know which song you heart best in the comments section below. (Be sure to include your email so I can contact you if you win!) To earn an additional entry, follow me and Scarlett on Twitter and @reply both of us (for example: "@FollowRabbits Scandals by @ScarlettBand #NowPlaying"). Giveaway winner will be chosen in 1 week- at 8pm EST on June 10. Good Luck!
photo via Facebook
I want to introduce you to Hugo: part piano-rocker part wise-guy (some of his interview answers had me laughing!) who I had the pleasure of stumbling into at the Kate Nash show a couple weeks ago. Hugo was outside of Kate's show giving away samplers of his music. I downloaded it the next day, and was immediately impressed. It's upbeat and very catchy- I've managed to get one of his songs stuck in my head every day since I put his tunes on my iPod. He's headlining the late show tonight at Mercury Lounge- definitely worth checking out! I caught up with him on Twitter and he was gracious enough to take the time for a little Q&A:
1. Favorite song to perform? Crow
2. Favorite item of clothing you own? Reebok Knit Polo
3. Sort your iTunes library by play count... what's the most played song? Dayton Ohio 1903 - Harry Nilsson - Nilsson Sings Newman
4. Favorite guilty pleasure? Bojangles? Waffle House?
5. You get to go anywhere for a week, all expenses paid... where you headed? London. No, Japan. Wait, come back to me.
6. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? Second Baseman for the Chicago Cubs.
7. Who or what inspires you most? The ones that don't believe
8. Biggest pet peeve? See above
9. Favorite tourist spot in NYC? Death and Co
10. Favorite breakfast food? ¿Panquecas?
11. Where did you grow up? NW 'Burbs of Chicago
12. What superpower would you most like to possess? The ability to outsass ANYONE...so... watch out.
13. Favorite 80's cartoon? OOF. Tough.. My roots are equal parts Thundercats, He-Man, and Care Bears. What's interesting here is I actually have Lionel, Cringer, and Tenderheart represented...oh my!
14. Have you ever been in love? Yes
15. Favorite NYC restaurant? Blue Ribbon Sushi
16. What do you see when you look out your window? Someone that owns a balcony. Thanks for dragging that back up.
17. Favorite sports team? The Cubs. Who can be more inspirational in all of sports?
18. You're at Starbucks- whatcha drinking? A bottle of metromint from the place across the street.
19. Favorite dessert? Ribbon Torte.
20. Someone has 1 day to experience NYC. What do you recommend they do? Wake up and go to Sarabeth's (have the four flowers juice). Then head to MoMa. For lunch go to H&H Bagels and grab a few then cross the street and go to Zabar's. Get the country ham or the smoked scottish lox and walk to Central Park for a picnic. You can stop at Alice's Tea Cup (coincidence?) for high tea. Or chai tea. If you must, go see a show in the theater district. On your way south of the city stop at Joe's Pizza in the village for a slice and then head over to the lower east side. On your way from west to east grab a round of lights and darks at mcsorley's. Go see some music at Rockwood or the Living Room or National Underground. If it isn't too late yet make it to Rice to Riches in SoHo. Finish off the night at Flatiron Lounge. I'm going to go pass out now.
Come check out Hugo's show tonight at Murcury Lounge! Doors open at 9p, $10 at the door, 21+. I'll be there early to get a good spot. Come by and say hello, have a beer and listen to some great music! I'll post photos and a show recap late tonight or early tomorrow. See you there!